Today is day 10 of Vyxeos! Right when I got started with this kind of chemo, my Dr said “Day 10… everyone comes in on day 10 with a neutropenic fever.” I’ve taken my temperature every few hours. No fever yet!
Yesterday I went in for labs to see how the chemo is sinking in. From what I understand, there’s an ingredient in the chemo that is encased in a fatty cell and is released once it reaches the marrow, so all the effects aren’t expected to come crashing in at once. As the chemo takes effect I’ll need red blood cells and platelets to keep me going, so those get regularly checked. Here’s yesterday’s lineup:
- Hemoglobin 9.3 g/dL (normal is 11.6-15.6 g/dL)
- Platelets 47 K/uL (normal is 160-370 K/uL)
- Neutrophils 50 /uL (normal is 1700-7500 /uL)
What does this mean??? Well, it means I didn’t need any transfusions yesterday. It means I have to be super careful to not get injured or cause myself any bleeding, or the platelets will have a hard time patching me up. It means I’m neutropenic- I don’t have very many infection fighting white blood cells around and therefore can’t do things like change diapers, clean bathrooms, brush my kids’ teeth…
In comes our wonderful family!!! I get to be queen cancer as family members have come and gone, helping with the kids and the household chores around the clock. I couldn’t be more proud of the family I’ve been given. I didn’t do anything to deserve such an asset, and yet here they are, blocking out their schedules to rotate through and make sure we’re never without help. It is truly humbling and fills my heart to the brim.
- No infections or sickness
- No nausea (most young women get pretty terrible nausea from vyxeos, and I’ve been spared so far!!)
- My heart and veins… vyxeos is extremely hard on these
- No hemorrhagic events! According to vyxeospro.com 74% of people who are on this drug experience some sort of hemorrhagic event, and these can be fatal. I already had a bleeding situation that landed me in the hospital during my last kind of chemo… I would love to NOT repeat that!
- God’s sustaining peace in our home… especially that all who come through helping us out, or visiting would be renewed!